Question
Posted by: Auds | 2003/02/04

Tired/Fatigued

When I do my cardovascular exercises at the gym I am very drained and tired (so called miserably fatigued) It puts me off and therefore I only attend once a week. I thought I could make it 3x a week but unable. I hate aerobics I get to tired and have no co-ordination skills. I am fighting to lose weight which makes me even more depressed. I am overweight. Please help, thanx

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Auds

The problem is that you are not getting fitter and that's why it feels like such an effort - only when you get fitter, will you feel less tired. I recommend you choose something you enjoy more than aerobics eg walking, cycling etc and try to do this 3 x per week. Also make sure that you have eaten a carbohydrate snack about 2 hours before exercising, so that you don't feel weak.

Once you are fitter and are exercisng regularly (and hopefully eating healthily), you should feel more energetic and positive and what's more you should be losing weight.

There is no special magic - you have to be internally motivated to make this happen - but it can and will happen, if you do it correctly.

You could also visit your doctor to check that your iron levels are fine and thyroid functionis normal - ie that there is no medical condition that is problemmatic.

I promise you - it is worth making the effort - so try to be positive and JUST DO IT!