Question
Posted by: jason | 2004/10/15

tired still the next day after training

hi i recently started running ( +- 3 months ago). i am 20 years old and probaly do about 30 - 50 km per week, with no running on the week end. i find though now that i am fitter than i have ever been i am tired more often and often find myself having to take a nap in the afternoon. Could this be a result of pushing my body to hard?

Thanking you
Jason

Hi Jason

it could well be that you are training too hard. It's really hard to say though because overtraining is such a complex process. I think the important thing to realise is that your training does not exist in a bubble, it's part of the rest of your life, and so things like work can also contribute. That's why you may feel like nothing in your training is different but you are tired. It may be that your training is not what is causing the fatigue. It's very difficult to know for sure. I think that also things like diet and the weather (it's getting hotter now and until you adapt, that can be draining) could be playing a part.

Whatever the cause, if you back off the training by just a little, it should get better and then you will have the answer. I know that this is not what you want to hear or do, but this phase of being tired, but still being able to train is commonly called the phase of overreaching. It's followed by overtraining and that's where you will be forced to rest for a few weeks, and so one of the tricks to training well is to understand where overtraining starts and where overreaching ends and then train just to that point. In that regard, my advice would be to just back off the volume slightly (and the intensity - if you are doing 2 or 3 hard days a week, then cut it back to one, just for 2 weeks) and then see what happens to how you feel. I hope that this sorts it out. It should do the trick, and then you will be able to push that little bit harder in the future. Remember that the important thing in training is not how hard you train, it's how well you rest and the difference between a good and great training programme is the rest - it's vital that you give the body a week or two easy every couple of months, it does wonders in the long run.

1
Posted by: b | 2004/10/15

i know exactly what you saying - this week i have trained (weight training ) 6 times already - today will be the 7 session - sitting here at my desk i am exhausted lol - !! i have been training for a couple years so its not like this is all new to me -

Reply to b