Question
Posted by: Desire | 2006/11/13

Tired - 2mnth old baby & back @ work

I had my babygirl (2nd child) 3 months ago and I am back at work fulltime and I am extremely tired. I tend to want to fall asleep at my PC and I struggle to get through the day. She still wakes up during the night and I know why I am tired but I don't know what to eat to help build up my energy level. I've been taking Turbovites but it doesn't help. A friend suggested adjusting my diet and eat more energy filled food but I don't know enough to be able do put a good eating plan together. Could you please tell me what I should and shouldn't eat to help me with my energy level or rather non existing energy level? If you want to you can fwd this to the dietician. Thanx a mill.

Dear Desire
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. It is very hard to have to get up a number of times during the night and then to do a full day's work, so your tiredness is perfectly normal. Foods that boost your energy levels without causing weight gain are high-fibre and low-GI carbohydrates. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a high-fibre, high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet. If you are not overweight you can eat larger portions of the permitted foods. Also click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the glycaemic index (GI) because if you can select low GI foods for your diet this should sustain your energy levels even more. Continue taking your vitamin and mineral supplement as this does help in the long run. Try to get as much sleep as possible by going to bed early and resting on the weekends.
Hang in there