Question
Posted by: Cassie | 2004/11/17

Tired

Hi I am trying to lose weight following a sensible diet and drinking 3 litres of water a day, the problem is I am incredible tired. I feel like I could sleep and sleep, I have tried pharmaton but find that they increase my appetite. Any suggestions

Dear Cassie
Firstly I tink you are drinking too much water. Excess water intake can wash important minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium and even sodium out of your body and cause an electrolyte imbalance, which can make you feel tired and listless. Don't have more than 3-4 cups of water a day in addition to your normal liquid intake. Secondly you may not be ingesting sufficient food or carbohydrate to sustain your energy levels. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and compare this Slimming Diet to what you are eating at present and make the necessary adjustments. You could also be suffering from a medical condition such as depression or iron-deficiency anaemia, so it may be prudent to have a medical checkup just to eliminate any underlying problems.

2
Posted by: science | 2004/11/19

I agree with FH. I am also drinking 3 L of water, over and above the 5 cups of tea I drink daily. My energy levels are actually much better since I increased my water intake!

Cassie, try EMVIT-M, in stead of Pharmaton. Thats what I'm taking, and it actually helps with my food cravings as well. How many calories are you eating each day? If its less thatn 1200, it might be that cause of your tiredness. You could also try 25 mg/day DHEA for a month or so if your tiredness is due to stress, as it supports your adrenal function. That helped for me, in any case.

Reply to science
Posted by: FH | 2004/11/18

Hi DietDoc

I was just reading your reply to Cassie, and was a little confused about your suggestions about water.

You recommend 3-4 cups of water a day, plus whatever other liquids she's drinking, isn't that only a litre of water ?

How much of liquid is the recommended amount.

BTW, I currently drink around 3-4 litres of water a day (sometimes even more), am Diabetic (maintaining my blood glucose level at around 5-8 with only diet and exercise), and have absolutely no problem with energy levels.

Reply to FH