Question
Posted by: running | 2004/01/12

tired

pls help me with advice......weneva i try to run or swim,,i seem to run out of breathe so quickly...and get a burning pain in my chest...also my ears tend to get sore.....like its frozen or something,,i've tried running with a band around my head...to cover my ears,,,but it still hurts.......
is there a way that i cud work on maintaining my breathing for exercising,,,,,,i do not smoke.....so i duno wat cud be rong..

I’m not sure how long you have been training – the reason I say this is because it’s actually a very common complaint among people who have just started running or exercising. It sometimes feels as you though have asthma. Now, I would not want to say that you don’t , because of course there is a chance that you do have asthma, I can’t diagnose that, but without wishing to be too blunt, most often people who complain of being really out of breath when they run (particularly when they are just starting out) are just unfit. This probably will very quickly disappear as they get fitter, and then one day, they’ll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. So, it’s probably not much consolation right now, but in time, you will get better, you just have to keep going. One thing that I would suggest you try, is that instead of going out and just running every day, you mix walking and running, just to make this more manageable and it won’t affect your progress either.
Check out the following programme on the Health 24 site.

Go to "Fitness" and then click on "Shape up". Here you will find a number of different programmes, including one for walking, another for running 10 km, and a cycling one. You can choose which you prefer. These programmes contain both cardiovascular (good for weight loss) and resistance training (for toning the muscles) and so are good overall complete programmes.