Question
Posted by: BIBI | 2004/10/12

TIPS

I am due to go on a course of cortisone for medical condition. I am just wondering how to best try and avoid the water retention and inevitable weight gain associated with this drug. Will the following help and do you have any more valuable tips in this time of total despair in at least trying to maintain my outer appearance which will in turn help me to deal with the medical condition better:

1. Drinking lots of water to counteract the retention
2. Eating lots of celery and cucumber
3. Eating mostly fruit and veg a little carb and some protein
Do you think this will help minimise the effects and is it possible if
I fought the cravings to not put on weight while on treatment?

Any other reader been able to fight back the side effects perhaps?

Bibi, the side effects are due to the effect that the cortisone has on your adrenal glands. This why we try to find the minimum effective dosage rather than giving medication to try and counteract the effects of the cortisone.
You can go on a low salt diet to try and minimise the water retention, but it won’t be a 100% effective.
The weight gain is not really due to what you eat, it is more due to a metabolic effect and redistribution of fat. Going on a strict diet will cause muscle loss and not prevent the fat redistribution.
You can also drop DietDoc a line and hear what she has to say. Good luck.