Question
Posted by: Itchy | 2006/07/26

Tiny spots on skin which itch and spread

My daughter is 6 years old. She started with a couple of spots under her arm which itched a lot. Took her to the doctor who froze them off and diagnosed it as something molluscus. Said they spread and its better to freeze them off now while there are a few. She was fine for about 6 months. Now they have started again and from scratching she has also got a bit of excema. I have tried creams and now see that they are spreading onto her tummy. Do you have any advice for this condition?

Expert ImageArchive

The name of the infection is molluscum contagiosum and is caused by a virus. Eczema may be present in the vicinity of the lesions. Persons with asthma/hay fever/eczema are more prone to develop the lesions. The following treatment methods are available: freezing with liquid nitrogen, removal with a needle, cantharadin liquid, potassium hydroxide liquid, and imiquimod=Aldara. There is no scientific evidence for the superiority of one of these treatments. Keep in mind that lesions may also disappear spontaneously. There you have it. See your doctor.