Posted by: Michelle | 2009/06/18


I have severe tininis in one ear and as a result can not hear with this ear at all. Visited an ENT who rinsed my ear with syringe and charged R700, noise in my ear now worse. Is there any cure for this, can i get my hearing back?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Tinnitus is a phantom sound, usually present if there is some degree of hearing loss. Tinnitus does not cause hearing loss in itself. Tinnitus and hearing loss in one ear should always be investigated. Your ENT will firstly establish that there is no visible problem such as wax impaction, a perforated eardrum, etc. The next step is to have a hearing test (audiogram) performed by an audiologist. Contact your nearest hospital to find an audiologist in your area or you can get information from the Hearing Care specialist on the Health 24 website. If the hearing test is found to be abnormal, they will refer you to an ENT for further investigation and management. There are 2 types of hearing loss: 1. Nerve deafness which needs further investigation if only in one ear. Hearing can only be improved with a hearing aid in this instance. 2. Conductive deafness which means sounds are not transmitted adequately. Hearing can be improved with surgery in some instances or with a hearing aid.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.