Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2004/11/02

Timneh Grey

Hi there,
I know of a Timneh that is 5 years old with an overhanging beak. I believe it indicates Liver problems what are my options to get this sorted out?

Dear Jenny

If the beak is overly long, but not skew, this may indicate liver disease or certain vitamin deficiencies. A skew beak will overgrow as it is not wearing down normally. If the beak has formed a 'double beak', this may be due to insufficiently rough perches (for filing the beak against) or vitamin A deficiency. If a liver disease is suspected, there are many causes including bacterial infections, psittacosis, fungal toxins in the diet etc. I suggest you get the bird to an experienced avian veterinarian to have it examined - a thorough dietary history should be taken, and certain blood tests can be performed to evaluate liver function. An x ray can also be of help in evaluating the liver size, and endoscopy can be performed for liver biopsies if indicated.

Yours sincerely
Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian