Question
Posted by: Ann | 2007/05/12

TimJan for constipation

Dear Cyber Doc
Recently a nursing sister told me about TimJan (of the aloe and grapevine), bought in bottle stores, when I mentioned my IBS-C. She said her own aged mother took 1 tablespoon of it every night of her life and has not suffered from constipation ever again. At the bottlestore, I was told that many 'little old ladies' buy it to keep themselves 'regular'. Let me hasten to say I'm no little old lady, although I am nearly 50! My question is, do you know about this TimJan, and can one's bowel become accustomed to it so that one might be forced to use it for ever?
Thanks for your help!
Ann

Dear Ann
It is very vile tasting but works very well and being an aloe product is not as harmful as other stimulating drugs for constipation. The one bad thing about it is that it stains the inside of your colon black, so if you ever need to have a colonoscopy, they won't be able to see much. (Called melanosis coli) AIM makes a herbal fibre blend that I think is a better option to use. By the way you'll get Timjan at Dischem and most other pharmacies too.