Question
Posted by: Nixi | 2004/03/08

Timing is everything?

Dear Doc

Thank you for replying to my previous post. I shall take your advice and consult a dietician right away.

I have another question for you. I read an article this weekend where they claim that in order to lose weight, it is not only what you eat that is important, but also when you eat it.

So if for example, if I am to follow your slimming diet, they claim that it matters if I decide to have my cereal for lunch instead of for breakfast.

What are your comments on this one Doc? Will the order of the meals really help me lose more weight faster and keep it off?

Dear Nixi
There is some evidence that it is better to eat your larger meals at breakfast and lunch, than at supper, but this is not always feasible, esp for people who work. If you decide that you want to swap your lunch and breakfast this should not really affect your weight loss. The most important factors is a weight loss regimen are decreasing energy intake and increasing energy expenditure.