Question

Time to give up?

Hi Cybershrink (Please only Cybershrink to answer)
I am 34, and Bipolar. I am a nurse, but more in the corporate set up. It seems as if nothing in my life wants to work out. I am still earning a pathetic salary, and because I moved to a smaller city 2 years ago my salary dropped even further. I can not cope on this salary.
My only family is my sister. But, she and her husband and snobs, and they only care about money and their status. They wanted me to stay here because their kids love me so much (or they can abuse my kindness???) Anyway, they offered to build a flat onto their property to assist me to stay here. But then they went back on their promise. Now, I am in serious financial difficulties.

My problem is, I am looking for a job that will really be the way out of this financial problem, it is really my passion. But is it really scarce. I have even applied in the UK. I will earn 4 times more than I earn now. ( I work in Clinical Research and want to become a CRA. )

I do not have unneccesary debt. I am just earning too little. I am staying in my sister's guest room, but I get very nasty comments from her husband. He hates my 2 Jack Russell dogs and if they don't listen to him he will throw them with his shoe, etc.
He is sarcastic and when I make a sandwich for work, he says that I must see that the cheese finds its way back into the fridge. My sisted hides the "nice food". Even though she denies it - she says that there is too much food in the kitchen.

I had a lot of medical expenses (levies on my medication) this month and could not really contribute to the household.
But I feel in the way, and i have nowhere to go.

I could have my dogs put to sleep and go and rent a room or cottage. Because I wont find a place for me and them.

Or, I can just as well commit suicide in total. Have the dogs put to sleep and then move onto myself.
I know my sister will feel guilty and angry afterwards, but don't you think she derserves it?
The worst is - they will blame me for being selfish.
The only reason I have not done it yet is that I don't want to do that to the kids, and I am scared to die.

Is there a solutution the problem? Except medication, because it does not take me away from the reality of my situation

Sorry to hear of this, Anon, which must be a very embarrassing and frustrating situation. But though you insisted that the answer must come from the shrink, the situation is basically a career choice / financial problem, and shrinks are hopeless with problems like that. All hospitals, state and private say they are terribly short of nurses --- couldn't you get a better and more fulfilling job there ? Counselling, especially of the CBT format, could help --- medication seems less likely to be the answer.

5
Posted by: Anna | 2007/05/16

Hi anon. I may not be a shrink but I can tell you this much. If you were contemplating commiting suicide, you would just have gone and done it, you wouldn't have told anyone about it. Happiness comes from within. You cant expect anyone to make you happy if you are not happy with yourself. You are the creator of your life and future. Only you can decide what it is that you want and you would stop at nothing to achieve it. Sit and think about that for a few minutes. There are alot of options you can consider. How about getting a second job and putting up with the shit until you have enough saved up to stand on your own 2 feet. There are always options in life, you just need to decide how and what you gonna do to make get there.

Reply to Anna

Thanks for the advise, but none of it is helpful. If you read CAREFULLY, I am not ABLE to find my own place at the moment. You sound just like my own family, just they are hinting and you are saying it! What is the purpose of the CYBERSHRINK if everyone is making unhelpful comments???

Posted by: Dove | 2007/05/15

Find a place of your own and stand on your own two feet. Leave them to them selves.

Reply to Dove
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/15

Geez, how many Anon's are there? One is mean, one is nice, one is... etc.

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: rose | 2007/05/15

hi anon

just to say CS will be a bit scarce this week..

Reply to rose