Question
Posted by: Pappas | 2005/01/05

Tik addiction

Good day, I've got a friend who asked for my help because he really wants to stop doing tik (drugs). I've no idea how to go about helping me - please advise. He's been doing this drug for over a year now and craves it every day. He's losing control of his life and realises that he stands to lose everything he's worked for. He seems to be hearing people talking about him (even though people seems to be discussing other topics) he is adamant that they must be talking about him - he is insecure and has no selfworth. He even believes his girlfriend is not good enough for anymore. Sometimes when he can't control his urge, he goes out on a binge (sometime during the middle of the night, he goes out, being totally irrational and do not come back until the next day). He is also starting to talk about suicide and this scares me a great deal. We are in the Cape Town area and he is not on medical aid, but we would be able to afford a semi-private rehab centre should there be a place that can take him immediately.
V

Well, it sounds like maybe he is realizing the extent to sich he has become entrapped by this bad habit ---you don't Do drugs --- drugs Do you. In any case he would need to be helped by a proper psychiatrist, in person ; and especially if he has begun hearing voices and feeling paranoid. Sometiems this is caused by the drug, sometimes the drug pushes one into a psychotic state to which one was already vulnerable. Either way, it needs and can respond very well to, skilled treatment, both to get off the tik, and to stay off it ( much more important ) and to clear his state of mind. You could try calling a local helpline for advice on local clinics in your area geographically and budget-wise, maybe call the Dept of Psychiatry in Stellenbosch University for advice, similarly. I agree wi9th Candice. Good luck, and keep us in the picture as to how things develop

5
Posted by: Candice | 2005/01/05

Well done! At least your fiend still believes that he can trust someone and I think that this is a very good sign. He has admitted that he has a problem and is crying out for help. Don't drop him, he desprately needs you to help him help him self. Try the Tygerberg, Groote Schuur or Stikland Hospitals they should be able to help you. My boyfriend had the same problem and I as a non user had to stand by and watch him destroy his life. He has now kicked the habit.Good luck and I look forward to hearing your outcome.

Kind regards

Reply to Candice
Posted by: Pappas | 2005/01/05

Hi Jelly,
sorry to disappoint u, but this is not a fictional friend - this is a friend crying for help, and being the kind of friend that i am, i thought the internet would be a good place to start doing enquiries. The fact that this person actually admitted to someone (me) that he has a problem, shows that he really wants to get help, so if you do not have anything constructive to contribute to his plea, don't try and psyco analyse me.

Reply to Pappas
Posted by: Ice | 2005/01/05

Hi Pappas,

I've seen this happen to a friend before. It's not a very nice thing to happen to someone. it seems as if you are describing that this friend of yours has developed some sort of psychosis, or a bit of an abnormal state of mind (thats what happened to my friend after using too much ecstacy and crystal meths for a long while.

the "hearing voices" and being paranoid bit would probably indicate that your friend needs to see a psychiatrist as there is probably a chemical imbalance that might need to be taken care of through medication etc...
hope it comes right, all the best.

Reply to Ice
Posted by: Juzlisen | 2005/01/05

Jelly - do not be a arse - so what if this is the person posting - hte fact is they have taken the first step in admitting there's a problem and asking for help - that takes courage and shows that they want their lives to be normal.
Sorry I cant help - this one's for the doc.
Take care
Juz

Reply to Juzlisen
Posted by: jelly | 2005/01/05

It sounds as if you are the one with the problem, and now you are making this friend up. The reason why I am saying this is that you know to much detail about your friends round abouts.Where he is and where he goes. So if you are the addict admit it and deal with your problem.

Reply to jelly