Question
Posted by: Lee | 2003/03/27

tightening across back of chest with labored breathing

I have been having episodes where my upper back across my ribs seems to tighten up. It starts with a slight pressure that builds in intensity and lasts for about 10 minutes before it slowly receeds away. During these episodes I cannot function. I have trouble breathing and I feel flushed and weak. I have found that if I make myself relax and breathe deeply, it seems go away faster. These episodes have increased over time in frequency and intensity. What is this I'm suffering from and should I be on some sort of preventive medicine?

Lee, it’s difficult to say what the problem is without examining you first, but it sounds like it might be due to back muscle spasm, pleuritis (inflammation of the lung sack) or even an anxiety attack. The best would be to see your doctor and have it sorted out. Good luck.