Question
Posted by: Angela | 2005/06/12

Tight chest after quitting smoking<br>

I'm 23 years old and I have smoked for about 5 years (on and off - mostly on). I quit smoking a week ago but I have been experiencing chest pain and tightness - especially when lying down. I am not overweight (49kg).

Is this part of withdrawal? Could it be anxiety? I have also lost my voice and I haven't smoked! I feel fine though. Advice please?

Angela, it sounds like you’re getting the flu. It might also be tat you’re producing more phlegm now that you’ve stopped smoking and that this is causing the tightness. If it hasn’t cleared up by the time you receive this reply the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.