Question
Posted by: Luis | 2007/06/19

Tieing of tubes to prevent further pregnancy

My wife is pregnant with our second child and her gynaey recommended that she have her tubes tied at the same time as he does the caesar as we wish to stop at two children. He recommends this as it could prevent further complications that women have as they get older but I'm not sure if he is just recommending it because it is more surgery time for him and thus more money. I was planning on having 'the snip' after our second child as I though it was the simplest solution but if there are benefits to my wife having her tubes tied then it is something we would consider.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Luis
If you do not want more than 2 children, and if she is going to have a ceasar, it may be the ideal time to have the sterilization too as it will spare her another operation. However, this is something you should decide for yourselves after considering all the pro's and con's. It may be more cost effective than either of you going in later for another operation. Some women do have heavier menstruations after a sterilization. See also: http://www.engenderhealth.org/wh/fp/cfem2.html