Question
Posted by: Charne | 2006/11/13

Ticks in garden / dogs

Morning all,

Hope all had a wonderful weekend. I'm concerned about my sister's animals. They have a big yard and have 4 dogs. Unfortunately it seems like their yard is infected by ticks. The poor dogs are constantly full of ticks, as soon as the one is off, the next one appear. They've tried dipping the dogs as per the vet, but have a feeling they need to 'treat' the yard? Not sure if there is something like that. Does any one know of a solution?

Paths and patios can be steam cleaned but it is very difficult to rid the lawn of ticks. Even in the "veld", burning does not get rid of ticks as they are able to head down the grass and find protection in the ground and as soon as new grass grows they are there again. It may be necessary to combine treatments (as mentioned before). There are some powders effective against ticks but be sure they do not interfere with other treatments or cause toxicity. You could enquire from your local pets control specialist if they can spray the lawn against ticks - its worth a try.

2
Posted by: peaches | 2006/11/20

I seem to have the exact same problem with my yard and have had to give my dogs away due to this problem. Someone suggested i use diesel ? I have a guy who comes in twice a month to cut the grass , i was however thinking of cementing the yard , will this help at all ?

Reply to peaches
Posted by: WR | 2006/11/13

Hi there!

Apparently the 'old' type of lawnmovers are best for this type of problem (the ones with a blde that works like a chopper's blade), as they suck the grass-cutting up. This combined with Karba-dust, or spraying Chlorpiriphos, and even Die Ant works. The trick is to spray the whole yard, fumigate/spray the house and continuously treat the dogs. This (eventually) brakes the reporductive cycle of the ticks (in theory).

Good luck!

Reply to WR