Question
Posted by: Martie | 2008/01/14

Ticks

I need advice urgently. We have a plague of ticks on our smallholding. It is a struggle to keep all of the animals free of ticks. I have to treat them constantly otherwise they are covered in ticks. The problem is that the small ticks find their way onto my head. Now I have long thick hair. I can feel the tick/s walking on my scalp - it drives me crazy, and the bite marks itches and forms sores on my scalp. I cannot catch the little ticks on my own head as I cannot see the top and back of my own head and they are very small - 1 to 2 mm and can also walk fast. Sometimes when I raise my head from my pillow I find one that fell off. I am 100% certain it is ticks - the same species that infests my dogs, who sleep with me. What I want to know: I can dip or frontline my dogs, but what can I use on my own head? Like I said there is no way I can catch them myself, so I would have to use a shampoo or something. I also tried combing them out with a lice comb, but as they are so small they are not caught in the teeth of the comb.
Please help, I cannot concentrate at work and at home I scratch and try to catch the bloody things to the exclusion of anything else. Please do not tell me my dogs should not sleep with me - they are my children and I will give them maximum treatment against the ticks. Just for interest sake: I found that the ticks on clothes comes out alive after washing a full cycle in the washing machine.
Kind regards
Martie

Dear Martie
this could be dangerous for you as you may be at serious risk to develop tickbite fever. Try Frontline on the dogs. Try Para-spray on your hair for yourself? Just be very careful not to use anything that is not approved for human use as most commercial chemicals that will kill ticks are absorbed through the skin and can cause serious poisoning (i.e. dog dips) Shampoo the dogs (and yourself) with Margaret Roberts "Khaki weed" shampoo Tel: 012 504-1729 or 071 161-6441

2
Posted by: tara | 2008/01/14

Whena are you crazy, those shampoo's have poisens in them that the skin can absorb , AND YOU CAN DIE.We are humans, our bodies are very different to dogs. I would suggest you contact a fumigator to fumigate, and then you consult a doctor like you are doin at the moment.

Reply to tara
Posted by: Whena | 2008/01/14

martie

A old hunter's remedy is to wash your whole body (including hair) with a dog shampoo that is specially formulated against ticks.I know it sounds crazy but it works.Just do not let the shampoo get in your eyes-it burns like crazy!!

Reply to Whena