Question
Posted by: bibs | 2004/11/04

Tick Bite Fever/MMR vaccine/Malaria

Doc

1. What are the serious side effects should a child contract measles without being vaccinated?
2. Can a child still get either of or all the 3 even after the MMR?
3. Can one do single jabs in PTA South Africa and where? what is your opinion on single jabs instead of the 3 in 1? I believe the single jabs could be more serious/side effects?
4. What are the general symptoms of tick bite fever? can you have symptoms in episodes i.e. symptoms for 3 days and then feel better and a month later display the same symptoms, is this common of tick bite fever?
5. What are the general symptoms of malaria and how long after being infected will they show up?
6. Which child is most at risk of contracting these 3 diseases? i.e. stay at home baby and in which months are these diseases more prone i.e. Winter?
7. Could i delay the 15 month MMR to 18 mnths and then the 18 month one to 21 months?

Pls just give me the most common general symptoms you do not have to go into great detail, thank you so much for your patience.

Bibs,
1. There is no reason to believe that there will be any serious side effects.
2. If the child gets it, it will be a very light form of the disease.
3. My opinion is that one should get it over and done with, but speak to your paediatrician about getting the single jabs (they are available).
4. The main symptoms are headache, fever, body aches and sometimes a rash.
5. Fever (that comes and goes), headaches, tiredness and body aches.
6. A going to nursery school baby in the winter.
7. Yes.
Good luck.