Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2003/12/08

Thyroid trouble

I recently had blood tests done and my tests show that I have a High thyroid level I would like to know what implications it could have and if I need to take medication for it.

TESTS: Thyroid Functions TSH
RESULTS: 6.60
REFERENCE RANGE: 0.35 - 5.50 mIU/L
COMMENTS: Elevated TSH is suggestive of PRIMARY HYPOTHYROIDISM

Wondering, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) is the hormone that stimulates the thyroid to secrete thyroid hormone. In other words, if there is a shortage of thyroid hormone (T3 & T4), the TSH will increase to increase the stimulation of the thyroid to try and rectify the problem. This is why they say that the increased TSH is suggestive of hypothyroidism. The best would now be to have blood taken for T3 & T4 levels and if they’re low, to start taking thyroid hormone. Good luck.