Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2005/07/27

Thyroid tests

I have been having underactive thyroid symptoms for over a year (gaining weight, feeling constantly tired, extreme hair loss, dry skin, depression ect) Is it possible to directly request a thyroid test from pathologists I am not on a medical scheme and need to do this as economically as possible. Does anyone have any idea what such an test could cost?

Amanda, you can ask them to do a TSH & T4 – it should cost about R270. you will still have to see your doctor for a prescription though. Good luck.