Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2005/07/27

thyroid test

Is it possible to directly request a thyroid test (possible underactive thyroid) . I am not on a medical scheme and need to do this as economically as possible. Also what is an estimated cost for such a test?

Expert ImageArchive

Our practice would only do this test when requested by a doctor. The reason for this being that we are not clinicians and if the test is abnormal and you need treatment you would have to see a doctor. Some of the other practices might do it without a referral. You would have to phone them and then also request a price. If you pay cash you are likely to get a discount.

2
Posted by: Heidi | 2005/08/12

I had one done in March cost me + - R1800 the blood tests are R1450 at Lancet lab....the rest is for having your results read to you....very expensive..

Reply to Heidi
Posted by: Pal | 2005/08/08

Try going to your state hospital in your area. I did, I have Hypothyroidism and they are fantastic, they do all the tests.

Reply to Pal