Question
Posted by: M | 2004/11/15

thyroid swollen, blood work normal

Hello. My thyroid is slightly swollen. I went to the doctor and he send my blood work in. Everything was normal. Now he is sending me for a sonar scan. What will a sonar scan show us? Why is it necessary? I have fatigue, muscle pains and lots of trouble losing weight. I thought for sure my thyroid was not producing enough hormone. Wouldn't the blood work show that?

please help

M

M, the swelling is probably due to inflammation of the thyroid (thyroiditis), but your doctor just wants to make sure that it isn’t due to something else like a cyst. The blood work should also have included thyroid antibodies and if it was normal, you don’t have to worry too much. Let me know if you have more questions (post them as a new question to ensure that I get them). Good luck.

1
Posted by: Vicky | 2004/11/15

I had the same problem many years ago the doc said even though my thyroid was swolen it was active but my bloods were normal. They then removed part of my thyroid and I also started gaining weight as I was loosing weight all the time.

Reply to Vicky