Question
Posted by: anon | 2007/08/15

Thyroid reason for weight gain?

Diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. Gain 6 kg in 1 year although I drink Eltroxin and blood test show correct. What can I do to lose 6 kg ?

Dear Anon
The thyroid gland is like the conductor of an orchestra because it controls practically all the functions in the human body including the basic metabolic rate which is an important determinant of weight. It is perfectly feasible that the Hashimoto's has caused you to gain 6 kg over a year. Continue to take the Eltroxin as prescribed by your dr and try to combat the weight gain with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). You should be able to lose the 6 kg in about 6 weeks.