Question
Posted by: Amelia | 2006/04/07

Thyroid Problems

At age 38 I had a baby - 9 years after my first child. About 6 mths after his birth I was told I have an overactive thyroid. The dr. prescribed eltroxin 0.1mg once a day - the leftside of the gland enlarged and was removed about a year ago. The dr still told me to take eltroxin, now 0.05mg per day.
I feel terrible now - I have always been thin - I have picked up about 6 kgs, always moody, depressed, my skin and hair is terribly dry and I am always tired.
I stopped taking the eltroxin for about 2 months - then had a blood test done through my GP - he said the results showed that my thyroid functions were normal (I never told him I haven't been taking the tabs for 2 months).
Can I just stop taking the Eltroxin - is it perhaps causing my thyroid to be underactive at the moment (drinking it now again)?
Can I take anything else or any supplements?
Every time I at myself in the mirror, I get so depressed - I don't want to wear nice clothes anymore - I am moody and moan at my husband and children all the time - PLEASE HELP ME, I don't want to be like this. Before the thyroid problems I was always a friendly, fun loving person.

Your symptoms sound like those of an underactive thyroid. Eltroxin actually treats underactive thyroid, so you will probably feel better when you take it.