Question
Posted by: Concerned Lady | 2008/01/15

Thyroid problem or not?

Dear CyberDoc,

Please help me, I have had tests done about 1yr ago where they tested me for everything including thyroid. The test came back all okay it was only my iron test that showed that I have a high iron level but that it is nothing for concern. However I have the follow symptons:
Bad hair loss (there are no bald patches, or sores)
Tired continuosly
Sensitive to heat / cold
Constipation
No drive or energy for anything (I take suplements occasionally)
Nothing excites me
Low sexual drive
Cant control my weight (it just goes up)
Irregular period flow
Retain water occasionally

My eating habits are so healthly, I don't eat any red meat only ckicken & fish. I live off veggies & fruit. Dont have a sweet tooth and exercise regularly (lately I have no energy / drive to go). I don't believe in diet pills etc as my eating pattern is healthy.

I really need your advise, I have an appointment schedule with my GP for a check up (annual one) should I suggest to her that I want my thyroid tested again or is the problem something else.

I am really concerned and I know my body and know something is wrong but not sure how to approach the situation.

What is the best for me to do?

Dear concerned lady
I think things he may need to look at too are your cortisol levels, prolactin levels, thyroid, female hormones, follow up on high iron as longterm it can cause a type of diabetes.
dr Bets