Question
Posted by: claire | 2003/12/31

thyroid prob

I am due to have radioactive iodine treatment for an overactive thyroid. I feel that there may be ways of curing myself, as I am an ex-athlete and generally very healthy. I am willing to go on any regime that would be worth a try - ie no alcohol no coffee etc etc! Any suggestions? I am on Carbimazole at the moment.

Expert ImageArchive

Please ensure that your diagnosis is correct, there are forms of hyperthyroidism that are transient related to pregnancy and or iodine/Kelp supplementation. If you have been taking kelp supplements over a long period of time this can cause a transient hyperthyroid state and will correct itself over 6 months if you stop the kelp and other iodine sources. If you are pregnant your thyroid profile can change to reflect hyperthyroidism, this changes after 18 weeks of pregnancy back to normal.
If your doctor has definately checked all these factors and is totally clear about the diagnosis, then radioactive iodine treatment is correct. There is unfortunately not much natural medicine can do to correct the condition which is most often an auto-immune reaction.
Natural Medicine can help you respond well through the process, and help you stay in the best state after by supporting all the other systems in the body.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)