Question
Posted by: KIKI | 2007/08/22

THYROID NODULE

Hi, a nodule (4.4 X 3.1 cm) was discovered in my thyroid approximately a year ago. I went through the whole drama of ultrasound, FNA, etc, but the results of the FNA was negative (thus a benign nodule). I was given a perscription of Eltroxin, which I drink every day, without fail. I had a follow up (literally a 5 minute consultation) with the surgeon (we don't have an endocrinologist in our town) after 3 months and again after 6 months. After the last follow-up, he said I can come back in a year. I just find him very never-minded and "absent". I have now spoken to a friend of mine, who had exactly the same experience, with 2 negative FNA's. She insisted that they remove the nodule and it was found that the nodule was in fact cancerous. What are the chances of a false negative FNA? Should I go for a second opinion? Should I rather see an endocrinologist? I am only 37, I don't want to fool around with this thing, and nobody seems to take it seriously.

Dear Kiki
Yes I think you should get a second opinion - take all your results with so that they don't need to repeat everything. They can do a needle biopsy if needed to determine if the nodule is benign or not.