Question
Posted by: Fiona | 2002/12/03

Thyroid information

Recently, a friend pointed out that the reason for me being so tired could be that I have a thyroid gland inflammation. I have no idea what that is and if possible could you mail me further information on this matter. I have also put on wieght. and feel very uncomfortable due to the added weight.

Fiona, inflammation of the thyroid means that something caused the thyroid to swell (viruses, etc) and that this is causing an underactive thyroid. There is a host of different causes for hypothyroidism (under active thyroid), but before you try to figure out what the cause is, first make sure that you actually have hypothyroidism. The easiest would be to have blood taken for a thyroid function test and see what it Says. Good Luck.