Question
Posted by: Hormone-Hiccup | 2004/01/16

thyroid gone crazy

I have recently had my annual tests (pap smear, cholesterol test, thyroid) and these are the results (layman's terms)
Scan: OK but possible fibroids which are still small. Follow-up Ultrasound will be done within the next 6 months.
Cholesterol: 6,6 (I have the other breakdowns of LDL etc)
Thyroid: Underactive. T4: level 9,8
TSH 13,94 (would you believe it?????????????)
Thyroid Antibody test was "markedly raised" (quote from doctor) and apparently my body is interpreting my own thyroid as foreign. Help. I am seeing another doctor next week. My symptoms are very hot all the time, not sweaty, though, raised cholesterol - as you can see - weight gain 4kg, irregular period (4 in one month!!!), hoarse voice sometimes. The thing that confuses me, though, is that in the last 12 months I have not been sick off work at all. I have been pretty healthy and have not even had a cold. What should I do. Will I develop some kind of disease or what will happen if this is left unattended? My sister is on Altroxin (for 25 years already.)
I am 45 years old, female (of course) have 2 grown children.
Whazzup, doc?

HH, it sounds like you have thyroiditis and that this has caused your thyroid to become under active. Your body is trying to compensate by increasing the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), but it’s not fully succeeding. Your doctor will now have to find out why you have thyroiditis and then to treat you. This usually includes Eltroxin®, but you might also need to take other drugs. Good luck and don’t worry. :-)