Question
Posted by: kam | 2004/01/11

thyroid- goitre

I have just been diagnosed with a goitre. I would like to know what foods I should be eating and not eating. Is there any supplements to take and will they be harmful or will I benefit. My consultant is going to keep an eye on the goitre and has told me to come back in 6 months time.

Dear Reader
Has the consultant prescribed thyroid hormone supplementation such as Eltroxin for you? If not, then this is something you need to discuss with him/her. Ordinary goitre can be caused by a lack of iodine in the diet. As all the table salt in SA has been supplemented with iodine for many years, it is strange that you should have developed a goitre due to iodine deficiency. Other types of goitre are usually due to immune reactions or growths in the thyroid, which would be treated with Eltroxin and/or surgery, etc. Foods rich in iodine are all seafoods, fish, products made with seaweed, kelp and table salt. But don't overdo your intake of table salt as this can lead to other problems.