Question
Posted by: CA | 2004/10/26

THYROID & DEPRESSION

My thyroid went haywire in May and I now take Eltroxin together with Cilift for depression, can a thyroid problem cause depression and what are the effects of taking both tablets ?

Hello CA,
Interesting and useful question. Sorry to hear of the haywire thyroid. An underfunctioning thyroid, (a) can help to cause a depression, (b) worsen an existing depression, and/or (c) even if one isnt depressed, mimic a depression ( causing the slowing down, low concentration and energy, etc. symptoms very similar to those of depression ; and can (d) limit the effectiveness of any other treatment for depression one may be taking. Fortunately, not only does correcting the thyroid imbalance such as by taking eltroxin, help in itself, even in people with NO thyoid underfunctioning, adding Eltroxin to most antidepressants sems to give one more bang for the buck, as it were, and enhance the antidepressant effects --- so this is quite added when someone with a plain depression is not responding adequately to normal treatment for the depression.
I haven't checked out the specific combination of Eltroxin and Cilift, but I'm not aware of prospective problems from combining them ( and I haven't heard of headaches as a likely side-effects of the combo, CP Mom, but check with your own psychiatrist, always, to be sure.
Matthew's reflexions from a reflexology point of view are interesting --- with respect, they don't sound any more accurate than the view of modern medicine in this specific example, but interestingly compatible.

3
Posted by: The Great | 2004/10/27

Hi CA,

I once had hypothyrodism when I was on Aropax and my doc could not find the link between Depression and hypothyrodism, however Eltroxin was prescribed to treat the latter illness as metabolism was not functioning at all. I don't want to pontificate here, but I think it depends on the antidepressant you are taking. As for me, the combination worked perfectly

Reply to The Great
Posted by: Matthew | 2004/10/26

Hi there, I'm a reflexologist and I've learnt the chinese meridians as well. You know the acupuncutre points and all, and where chi flows. There is a meridian(a channel of energy) called the liver meridian. This meridian is very much associated with depression and thyroid problems. Anxiety, depression, alzheimer's, migraines, loss of control of anger and others are part oif this meridian. Sexual dysfunctions are on this list as well. The liver meridian is controlled by the wood element, the wood element is in control of balancing anger. The wood element's physical manifestation is the sinews. So maybe you also have problems with posture and have muscle imbalances and aches. To get an easier idea if your body is battling with this, you can look at your toes and you'll notice that they are clawing as if desperately trying to hold onto the ground. Your tendons that control the toes will also be more pronounced.
See any of these things? I don't practise as a reflexologist yet, but am in my final year.
You'll be amazed at how accurate traditional chinese medicine is compared to modern medicine.
Ciao.

Reply to Matthew
Posted by: CP MOM | 2004/10/26

Hi I'd love to know the answer as well. I'm also on Eltroxin and Cipralex and I'm getting headace's that's driving me to drink. If I don't drink the Eltroxin for a day it seems to be better so I also think the 2 together aren't working. I've not stopped taking the Cipralex though as I'm to scared of hitting a depro again.

Reply to CP MOM