Question
Posted by: Jane | 2005/07/06

Thyroid antibodies

Please explain the reason for the body producing thyroid antibodies. What can be done to lower these antibodies? I have raised anti-body levels (and am on Eltroxin for hypothyroidism which is now under control) and want to fall pregnant but have been advised not to until the thryroid antibodies come down. Thus far, no-one has been able to give me any solution to lowering these or explaining why my body is producing them in the first place.

Thanx,
Jane.

Jane, it all depends on the type of thyroiditis you have. It might be associated with a viral infection, an auto-immune disorder, drugs, etc. if you can let me know what type it is, I might be able to give you more information. Good luck.