Question
Posted by: Anne | 2008/06/13

thyroid and weight gain

I have an under active thyroid for which I have just increased my eltroxin dosage. I also have low blood sugar and am on a diet from my dietician which includes 8 portions of carbs per day to keep this level. My weight is a constant battle and this has increased by about 2 kilo's during the last 6 months. Is there anything I can do to loose weight, even a couple of kilo's?

Anne

Dear Anne
I trust that you have not increased your Eltroxin dosage without the approval of the dr who is treating you for your underactive thyroid? I am sure your dietitian has told you that the best way to reduce energy intake to promote weight loss is to reduce your fat intake and to do exercise every day. Try cutting down on your fat intake and do at least 30 min of aerobic exercise every day (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) to lose weight.

2
Posted by: Fatty | 2008/06/22

I think you may need to repeat your questions directly to diet doc. I gather they don't come back to a post once they've answered it. ( I'm "quizzy" so read every ones answers, and often find they help me too).

Reply to Fatty
Posted by: Dot | 2008/06/13

Hi there Diet Doc.
I'm very interested in the above mentioned letter to you about The weight gain and eltroxin. I was put onto eltroxin when I told my GP I couldn't conceive. It really helped and I was pregnant within 4 months although I had two miscarriages (one was gynie's fault) and have given up trying to have children too old now 44. I stayed on eltroxin for approximately 5 years I felt no different my dosage was increased then lowed then increased again with the acknowledge blood tests. I then became fed up with this tiny white pill, it was a nuisance I always ran out or forgot to take it, it never made me feel any different it only took my fighting edge away and made me a bit too placid. I gave up taking this retched little pill 2 years ago my weight has been ok I lose a bit put on a bit but it is easily controlled my moods are the way I like them and I feel much better even tough I know the blood tests will show that I still require this drug. I'm happier without it.
Four questions does smoking and then giving up have a profound influence on weight gain?
Does smoking mess up the thyroid?
Does the thyroid eventually repair itself?
and does eltroxin cause mood change to the degree that it can make you eat more and become blase' about it?
I try where I can to eat sea food, sushi with seaweed and feed my thyroid in a natural way. I have lost a little weight not much but its ok for me I'm not too over weight. At least I feel like me again.
Dot

Reply to Dot