Question
Posted by: Darren | 2011/04/20

Thyroid and radioactive iodine

Good day Cyberdoc. I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid (graves disease) in january this year.

I had the problem for years likely because my t4 level was 60. Then in early march, after carbimazole medication, I took a radioactive iodine capsule.

After a month, my t4 level was 57. My questions are: about how long will it take for me to get to the good range, and will the radioactive iodine work much quicker at the 3 months mark?

I want to get better soon so that I can get on the eltroxin meds.

Thank you doctor.

Regards,

Darren

Hallo Darren
The radioactive iodene irradiates the abnormal (overactive cells) and the T4 will gradually decline as the cells stop functioning. It is difficult to predict how fast this will work but some patients may need Eltroxin as quickly as 2 weeks after the radioactive treatment. Your doctor will probably do regular blood tests to monitor the T3 and T4 levels.

2
Posted by: Darren | 2011/04/21

Thank you for the reply and advice.

Darren

Reply to Darren
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/20

Hallo Darren