Posted by: Twinkie | 2012/11/25


Good morning doctor
Could you please give me some direction on the following? Earlier this year my gp picked up that I have a slightly elevated thyroid count and this was the cause of my rapid heartbeat? She elected no intervention however asked me to adjust my lifestyle, which I did. Lost a lot of weight! Brought BP under control (with medication). Follow up test showed indicated " possible Graves'' disease or Hashimoto Disease"  it was explained to me as it is borderline a decision will be taken at the next consultation. This happened about three weeks ago and I was told my thyroid function is fine but the antibodies are high (I did not ask the reading as this process is confusing enough) did not think anything of it but as I am talking to other individuals and reading on the Internet re elevated antibodies I am becoming more and more alarmed. Should I be worried! Seek a second opinion or just leave my trust in my gp?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


If you are concerned that you are not receiving the correct treatment, I suggest that you consult an endocrinologist. From what I gather, you are receiving the correct treatment and it is possible that the high antibody count will decrease. You will however, have to consult your doctor to determine if there is any effect on the thyroid that will need treatment.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.