Posted by: Trying to loose weight | 2008/10/17

Hi Doc,

I gave up smoking 2 1/2 years ago about the same time discovered I had hypothyroidism and high colestrol - take med for both including high bp med. I joined a ladies gym recently - what else can I do to assist weight loss - I eat reasonably well - especially with hight colestrol take extra care. I feel as though I get bigger by the day

Dear MC
Because you suffer from multiple conditions (hypothyroidism, raised cholesterol levels, hypertension), I would recommend that consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a special diet prescription for you that takes all your individual factors including overweight and your medications into account. In the meanwhile click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. For high bp, click on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower bp. Concentrate on doing cardio exercises at the gym (rowing, spinning, swimming, skipping, treadmill, etc) rather than working with weights to maximise your weightloss.