Posted by: G+ | 2008/10/06

Morning Doc,

This is a bit of a long story but I will really appreciate your opinion. I have a very strong history of family with an under active thyroid. My fathers mother, my mother, and also my sister (3 years younger than me). I test my thyroid function once a year. The problem I have at the moment is that I am sure it is slightly under active but still the test results are within range. I however experience extreme lack of energy, weight gain despite exercise and healthy eating, depression, lack of libido (just no energy) and a general unwell feeling. What am I to do?

Dear G+
Do you just check TSH levels or a full Thyroid function? TSH can stay fairly normal when T3 and T4 levels are borderline. Ask your doctor to give you a low dose of Thyroid supplementary hormone and to follow up on your thyroid function test in 6 weeks?