Question
Posted by: melf | 2008/01/24

Thyroid

Hi doc

My sister has a problem with her thyroid. Her problem is she cannot understand why her thyroid flcutuates between overactive and then underactive and gets extremely depressed about this. Could you perhaps assist and let me know what the problem could be. In the past year alone this has changed considerably and at this stage the thyroid is overactive again and she lost 6kg in 2-3 months.

Dear Melf
I think she needs to see an endocrinologist - she may have a type of auto-immune disease that flares up at times, causing "dumping" of thyroid hormone in her bloodstream, leaving her with less active thyroid cells that causes underactivity.