Question
Posted by: C | 2008/01/21

Thyroid?

My mom has been diagnosed with an underative thyroid and has suggested I get tested. About 2 years ago, I managed to lose a lot of weight (after having my son) and since around 6 months ago, everything has gone wrong. I am constantly tired, I put on ALL the weight I initially lost - without having changed my diet at all, I suffer from constant headaches and I genuinely have no energy. With a 4 yr old son, this is not very helpful. Is it a good idea to get tested? And if the results are positive, what does that mean for me? I am 30 years old - is it possible that I could also have this problem only now?

Dear C
If you are constantly tired then it may be a good idea to have your thyroid function tested. However your symptoms could also be due to other hormonal imbalances (insulin resistance, or female hormones such as with PCOS). Then rapid weight gain can be due to depression which could also cause the exhaustion and headaches. Discuss all these potential causes with your dr so that he/she send you for the correct tests and then prescribes the correct treatment. If you are suffering from an underactive thyroid the dr will prescribe thyroid hormone replacement therapy (usually tablets called Eltroxin) which you will need to take every day. Many women develop underactive thyroid function after pregnancy or as they get older. To lose the weight, return to your diet and exercise regimen you used 2 years ago. If you have one of the other problems we can discuss this once you have the results.
Hang in there

4
Posted by: Elise | 2008/10/28

Wat is ' n lui skildklier - bloedtoetse wys dit.
Dr. wil weer oor 3 maande bloedtoetse doen, alvorens medikasie gegee word. Wat is dan simptome regtig.

Reply to Elise
Posted by: FATTY | 2008/10/02

Ek het ' n histerektomie gehad in Mei maand. Na die operasie het ek ewe skielik 10kg opgetel wat ek nie af kry nie. Ek is van nature oorgewig. My gesig en kopvel het ook vol puisies uitgeslaan. Na die histerektomie eet ek heelwat minder en ook gesonder en ek bly gewig optel. Kan dit wees dat daar fout met my skildklier is?

Reply to FATTY
Posted by: anii | 2008/07/17

my esr content is high and my doctor said said 5that there is a chance of thyroid problem could u pls suggest me some good precautionary methods of preventing my thyroid problem

Reply to anii
Posted by: PRR | 2008/01/22

Hi There
can u please send me more info about Thyroid

Reply to PRR