Question
Posted by: Miss Marple | 2007/05/11

Thyroid

Hi Doc, I have been diagnosed as having a bulky thyroid and a nodule. I have trouble swallowing and breathing, not all the time, but often. Surgeon says I have dysphagia and it is not my thyroid. That just sounds a bit odd to me. What do you think?

Dear Miss Marple
The thyroid sits in front of your airway which has cartilage rings to keep it open, and is made of very soft tissue, the esophagus sits behind the airway, so if the thyroid is not pushing into your airway it is unlikely the reason for the dysphagia. Other reasons can be esophagus spasm due to acid pushing up from the stomach - have you had a gastroscopy yet?