Question
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/14

Thyroid

I would just like to know if maybe you can help me. I just would like to know what exactly are the symptoms of an overactive- and an underactive tyroid gland?

thanks for your help

Ciska, the thyroid is in charge of the rate of the body’s metabolism and therefore the symptoms of an overactive thyroid would include an increased pulse rate, a fine tremor, sweating, weight loss in spite of an increased appetite, heat intolerance, insomnia, irritability, decreased menstruation, etc. An under active thyroid would be characterised by weight gain, constipation, cold intolerance, listlessness, depression, lowered pulse rate, dry skin, slow reflexes, oedema, etc. Good luck and if you have more questions, please post them as a new question.