Question
Posted by: angie | 2007/12/05

Thyriod

Hi How can i test if i have an inactive thyriod withour going to the doctor. I read somewhere that you can test it by taking your temperature for a week as soon as you get up in the morning and if it is below a certain degrees i think it was 37 then you have a thyroid problem. And mine was below that is that the correct way to do it. Please advice. And what has to be done to have my thyroid working again. And yeah i am obese and it is fustrating me diets don't even help anymore. I get terribly depressed .Please help

Dear Angie
If you suspect that your thyroid is underactive then you really should ask your gp to send you for the relevant tests because he/she would also have to prescribe the correct medication for you if you are suffering from hypothyroidism. Taking your temperature is a very unscientific way of determining hypothyroidism and as mentioned, what do you do if you are lacking thyroid hormone? For your own sake have the dr send you for the thyroid tests and also ask to have your insulin resistance checked. Discuss the use of Xenical with your dr if you are struggling to lose weight.
Hang in there