Question
Posted by: suzanne | 2011/09/17

Thunderstorm phobia

Hi again, you will probably remember my post about the tiles in the lounge cracking and that the dogs were severely traumatized. The one used to have accidents in the lounge, but it stopped completeley since the incident and the move to the new place. But now they are extremely scared of thunderstorms. The one always were, she used to hide under the bedside table. I found that the Trepiline for the urination problem helped for it, but she is off it now. The Vet at Onderstepoort says antidepressants work best for the phobia, and not Xanor. I don''t know if I want to put my dogs on longterm treatment. I''m worried about side effects, because they affected me badly. Don''t you think Xanor alone when a storm is coming is good enough? But then what if they are at the kennells, how do I know the people will give the Xanor in time. Or if I''m out of town for the day? Anti depressants just feel a bit drastic, but then I can justify the use. What is your opinion. You know I''m always concerned about the wellbeing of my 2 JR''s and don''t want to do anything that will harm them. I do trust the Vet, she also deals with animal behaviour. But, what effects does these drugs have on the dogs?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Suzanne, yes i do remember you! I am not going to go into this here as very detailed, but I have an article on my www.friendsofthedog.co.za website, under the Dog Stuff section that will tell you point by point how to sort this out using counter conditioning and desensitizing.
Do read through it and you are welcome to contact me again is any problems.
Depending on the severity of the phobia long term medication is often required. I am not a vet, but the vets that I get refs from for this phobia normally recommend Clomicalm. Personally I find that medication alone is not enough, you need the counterconditioning, TTouch, how to react yourself to sort this out.
I have done a lot of research into this subject and trails on 100 dogs suffering from same and with the recommendations used in the article the success and improvement rate was excellant, with only one dog not showing improvement.
Do have a look at the article and shout if you need help, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/21

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert