Question
Posted by: Jackie | 2004/11/24

throwing up

Hi. Thanks for the wonderful site. I have a male cat, Burmees, i've had him now for 8 yrs. I had his teeth cleaned two weeks ago, and he seems fine from that. I would just like to know why does a cat throw up now and then. For weeks all is fine then all of a sudden he will throw his food up for a day or two. It's just like all he ate just comes out, it's just the cat food lying there. His breath does'nt smell. Maby im giving him to much food, I give him tuna twice a day, in the moring and evening. Then he can eat his cat pellets just when he wants, i leave the bowl there for him. He does'nt seem sick. He still plays after this and wants me to scratch him, in other words his mannerisms don't change. Please can you help me? Thanks.

Hi Jackie
Cats often do this as a result of hairballs in their stomachs, due to grooming themselves. If you see him hacking, you can give him a quarter teaspoon of Vaseline or butter. You could just put it on his paw to get him to lick it off. You get hairball lubricants from the vet and you also get hairball diet cat pellets, which work really well. A higher fibre diet sometimes helps, so rather than giving your cat tuna, try adding grated carrot or apple or giving a tinned cat food that is higher in fibre than pure tuna. Regular brushing of your cat is another good way to help prevent hairball buildup.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Tazz | 2004/11/25

I have the same problem with my cat.. His two years old.. Also throws up all his food....

Reply to Tazz