Question
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/16

throats closing

Hi there! Every time I run (I don't run much due to this reason), my throat gets like a sore numbness and feels like its closing, and then when I stop running, a few minutes later, I feel the need to cough. Could you please tell me why this is? It's been this way my whole life basically. Thank-you!!!

HI Rene

It may be exercise induced asthma, but I don't know for sure. The only way to know this is to go for tests, where you will be tested for this by doing some exercise and then doing what is called a forced expiratory effort. If it is EIA, then solving it is not all that difficult to do.

Sports or activities with intermittent periods of activity (stop and start activities) are least likely to cause symptoms. Activities followed by brief rest periods can allow a person to regain control of their breathing. Activities such as cricket, softball, volleyball, tennis, soccer, golf, some athletic events and gym training all have intermittent rest periods.

Sports with long, continuous activities such as cycling and distance running are more likely to cause EIA. Outdoor running is considered to be the highest cause of EIA, followed by treadmill running, cycling and walking. However, people with EIA can still participate in these sports by using a pre-treatment before exercise and with close monitoring.

Swimming is regarded to be an asthma-friendly exercise. It is a great activity for the improvement of the cardiovascular and pulmonary systems and because it exercises more muscles at one time than any other sport. The water environment itself is good for asthmatics. Large, heated, and well-maintained public size pools are suggested for strenuous exercise. Moist and warm air forms over the surface of the water preventing airway drying and irritation (unless chlorine content of the water is high). This environment coupled with the ability to glide, rest and adjust energy expenditure while remaining in motion, make swimming one of the most ideal activities for asthmatics.

Swimming also teaches excellent breathing control and this can be especially important for asthmatics during asthma attacks and stressful situations. Breath control can help with the management of cough, wheezing, and shortness of breath. When combined with pursed lip breathing, it can help in those times when medication is not close at hand and give the asthmatic person precious minutes to get the necessary medications.