Question
Posted by: lienkiebok | 2004/11/16

thoughts

Why is it that when i feel depressed that i get thoughts about hurting myself and only when i do i feel better.I dont understand it.

I understand your question, lb, but the answer is actually very complex and would depend in many ways on details about yourself that would only become clear during a proper formal assessment by a shrink. It'd be worth arranging a consultation with a good local shrink, to discuss this and related issues, and how you can avoid both the depressions and the unpleasant throughts.

1
Posted by: CJ | 2004/11/16

I read somewhere that maybe it's because you need to feel, you've blocked some feelings and you need to experience pain in order to feel what you cannot confront emotionally (I am not a doctor, do not quote me on this).
I think it's related to Borderline personality disorder.

Whatever it is, stop it.
Look after yourself, do not hurt yourself. Make a decision and set your mind to it - your mind is a lot more powerful than your emotions - just use it. And be amazed...

Cheers.

Reply to CJ