Question
Posted by: Tessa | 2004/01/09

Thoughts

The past couple of years I am having this "problem " of running things over and over in my head.The problem started when I developed this fear of going crazy or abnormal,but now instead of not running these thoughts over and over in my head so as not to go crazy ,that is what I am doing . Or if I think I did someone something wrong then I run that thing I did wrong and the idea that I might get crazy over and over in my head .So I am constantly taking note of what I am thinking. Is this the socalled obsessive compulsive disorder or obsession or what ? Is it normal? Must I go and see a shrink personally ?

Dear Tessa,
Well, there's not much point in seeing a shrink IMpersonally ! :}
yes, it could be most helpful for you to see a psychiatrist about this problem. It sounds like a possible Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD ), or perhaps a milder, obsessive personality. But it's a disorder in which one obsesses ( keeps thinking certain unfruitful thoughts, and keeps going back to them, never somehow feeling satisfied about them ) and has compulsions ( things one feels one has to do, either physical things, like checking a dozen times whether you actually switched off the stove or closed the window, or returning to certain thoughts one must repeat, or formulas of what one must say to onself ) --- and one feels one needs to do these things to ward off some form of anxiety or sense of danger. Often people with such a problem fear they'll go mad ( it may feel like it, but they never go mad ) or that they'll die, or cause some other sort of catastrophe, if they don't do these things to safeguard themselves and others.
Fortunately, the condition can be well treated ; some drugs can help a lot, and psychological treatments l ike Cognitive-Behaviour therapy (CBT ) can clear it up. And just imagine both how much more peaceful you could be feeling, and how much more time and energy you'll have for productive activities, if this OCD is calmed down !

1
Posted by: k00s | 2004/01/09

it does sound as if u obsess a bit bout things ye, mebbe not a bad idea to go & c someone, such intrusive thoughts can become a bit offa pain to get rid of by yourself,,,

read up a bit about the concept of forgiveness,,,,,it might help a little bit in the meanwhile,,,

b strong

Reply to k00s