Question
Posted by: illeanna | 2008/08/04

Thought men enjoy pursuing a woman

What do you do when you suspect that your guy has become a little complacent in the relationship?

Men are supposed to be the " hunters" , right? I thought that backing off would help - I' ve been seeing my boyfriend less and contacting him less for about a week, but this doesn' t seem to have alerted him or made him pull up his socks.

The affection is still lacking and the surprise gifts, well..they were never there. Does this guy just need a kick out the door?

Maria, as ever, puts her finger on the essential point here. Some men are indeed insensitive and dof clods, but too many women expect the man to be a mind-reader / clairvoyant, and complain that he doesn't respond to needs they have never actually communicated to him. "He just ought to know that I want that !" they wail. There's no Ought about it. Tell him, pleasantly. And check out whether you know what he wants, too.

3
Posted by: Maria | 2008/08/06

Same here, you don' t sound overly needy to me. If the guy is not meeting your needs and you are not expecting anything unrealistic, you have to wonder if it' s worth sticking around. If you want to give it a go, maybe some relationship counselling?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Same here | 2008/08/05

I am in the same situation. I have told him what I like, " what melts my heart"  as I put it - and well, I am still not getting it. He won' t say why he can' t do it, he just says " I will try but I can' t promise" .

And I am talking about things like: call me once a week just to say hi, kiss me before you go for third base, buy me a chocolate once in a while, seduce me before you go for third base, and do tell me you love me more than once in six months.... Is that too much to ask.

I am actually stuck between not knowing if he is just not into me or am I too needy. And that is why I haven' t left him coz I am not sure if I am too needy or reasonable. Where is the line????

Reply to Same here
Posted by: Maria | 2008/08/04

You are assuming that he knows what you want. Perhaps communicating with him more, rather than less, will help?

Reply to Maria