Question
Posted by: M | 2007/04/21

Thought I was doing the right thing?

Me and hubby have been having problems and I want a seperation. We have been living past each other, so we don't even fight. I went on a workshop to try sort myself and all my feelings out and before going decided to explain to my daughter (10) why I was going, (problems between me and her dad) as she was upset that I was going on this workshop. I have now been told by an outsider that it was a mistake to teller and that I am laying adult problems on my child etc etc. I thought she needed to know as I don't want her growing up thinking that how our marraige is, is how married life is!!! Was I wrong in telling her?

Its very reasonable to try to explain to a child that their parents are having problems, as they generally notice that something is going wrong, and may blame themselves for causing the problems. I jts think that a "course" is never ever the best way to deal with relationship or most other personal problems, and that marriage / relationship counselling is a far far better idea.